ACT Election 2020
Our environment, our future
Canberra is a city that sits in a wonderful natural environment. Not only is the ACT home to nationally significant woodlands and grasslands, and the spectacular Namadgi National Park, our urban landscape is embedded in the natural environment, connected by nature parks, corridors and waterways that support biodiversity and enhance wellbeing in our community.
The ACT has the opportunity to become a world-leading climate-resilient region that is powered by a circular economy. We have the opportunity to protect our unique natural treasures for current and future generations. But we must be ambitious and we must act now.
Our election priorities were drawn from a comprehensive policy platform developed in consultation with Canberra’s environment community. They will continue to form the basis of our campaign work for the next several years.
Click on the left or right edges of the image below to see our priority headlines, or use the links below.
Post-election: what next?
The new Labor–Greens cabinet spreads environmental responsibilities across 5 ministries, and the Parliamentary and Governing Agreement prioritises climate action but lacks mention of biodiversity… Read more
Our election coverage
- 19th Oct Election result a win for the environment and climate change
- 8th Oct Parties agree on urban forest and cycleways, but more ambition needed on climate and environment at ACT election
- 2nd Oct Let’s have a calm, clear plan to get off gas
- 29th Sep Why local climate action is so important
- 22nd Sep A simple way to protect our native mammals, birds and reptiles
Public forums with election candidates:
With a new ministry in place, Canberrans can continue to call on the government to step up for the future of our city. Our handy action guides will help you to take action.