The Conservation Council ACT Region relies heavily on the assistance given by many individuals and organisations who freely donate their time, money, or resources. The council’s work is focussed on working with members, donors and volunteers to find positive and active solutions for a continued healthy environment.
The Conservation Council understands that people may be concerned about disclosing their private details. This document seeks to assure members, donors and volunteers that the council has strong measures in place to protect personal details being used incorrectly.
In this document we outline what the council may use your details for.
The Conservation Council collects information when a member, donor, or volunteer provides us with their personal details
We may ask for certain information, such as name, home or e-mail address, phone number, receipting information, and perhaps credit card detailsif you have approved a transaction, such as a donation.
This information is kept in a secure database which is only accessible to key staff.
We may use the information to:
• let you know campaigns, petitions or volunteering roles as they come up
• let you know of any fundraising activities the council is running.
• send you our e-newsletters
• let you know of events , workshops, conferences, talks and other activities
• let others know about you if you have authorised it (for instance, you may have volunteered for an activity and you contact details may be passed onto the activity organiser).
We DO NOT
• pass on your details to any third-parties.
• conduct phone campaigns asking for donations.
• If you provide personal information to us about another person (such as anRSVP to an event for a friend), then their details will be added to the council’s communications list. If they do not wish to receive communications from the Council, they can use the ‘opt out’ facility on any communications material.
• Regular reviews of information are conducted and information that is no longer necessary is securely and permanently disposed of.
• Information about you that is collected by the council is held only as long as it is necessary to provide you with the service or information required or until our legal requirement to hold that information expires. For example, if you are a regular donor and you request the cessation of monthly donations we will delete the credit card details, ask if you would still like to receive periodic donations requests and archive the record if the answer is no. We have to keep a record of the donation for seven years for tax reasons, after which we will be able to delete the record completely.
Opt out facility
Members or non-members can opt out of one or all of our services at any time by contacting us by mail, e-mail, phone or fax. Each fax, e-mail or mail-out will give the recipient the option of not receiving further communications of this nature.
Website – cookies
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies automatically. However, if you do not wish to receive any cookies, you may set your browser to refuse them, noting this may restrict your access to a website, (ie, it will block website services that are cookie-enabled).
Linked web sites
As a service to those accessing the Conservation Council website, links are made from Conservation Council’s web pages to the websites of many other organisations. Please note other sites are not covered by this policy. You will need to check the Privacy Policies of those specific organisations if you intend to access their sites.
Access to information
Members, donors, and volunteers can request access or update their details by contacting us by phone on 02 6229 3200, by e-mail at [email protected] or by writing toConservation Council, GPO Box 544, Canberra City ACT 2601.