The Conservation Council ACT Region has joined the Stop Adani Alliance.
The Alliance is one part of the overall Stop Adani campaign and currently has over thirty organisations as members, with a combined supporter base of over two million people. The current membership of the Alliance includes the Australian Conservation Foundation, 350.org, Australian Youth Climate Coalition (AYCC), Nature Conservation Council of NSW, Conservation Council South Australia, Conservation Council WA and several Queensland Conservation Councils.
The Board has agreed to joining the Alliance because the Conservation Council’s aims, objectives and values Declaration are in line with the Alliance Declaration; Conservation Council membership of the Alliance helps strengthen the overall alliance and joins us with a range of other conservation, environment, faith and community organisations, and; membership of the Alliance is free of charge yet also provides access to some campaign resources.
The grounds of opposition to the proposed Adani coal mine are set out in the Alliance Declaration (below). Member organisations all endorse the Stop Adani Alliance Declaration, not every single moving part of a diverse campaign.
We stand together to stop Adani Carmichael coal mine, rail and port project because:
- It will fuel catastrophic climate change
- The project trashes Indigenous rights, land, water and culture
- Coal kills people and threatens our way of life
- Adani can’t be trusted
- Our future lies with clean, renewable energy
We stand for:
- Urgent and serious action to cut carbon pollution
- A complete withdrawal of the Adani Carmichael mine, rail and port project
- A ban on new coal mines and expansions in Australia
- An end to public subsidies for fossil fuel projects
- Solidarity with Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders who are standing up to protect country
- Respect for each other’s autonomy to campaign in ways that make sense to us while working collaboratively to build community power
- Peaceful collective action
THE TIME FOR RIDING ROUGHSHOD OVER INDIGENOUS RIGHTS IS OVER.
THE TIME FOR BUILDING NEW COAL MINES IS OVER.
THE TIME FOR ACTION TO STOP ADANI IS NOW.
More information on the Alliance is available at the Stop Adani Alliance website.
If you would like to be involved in Stop Adani actions in the ACT contact the 350.org Canberra team firstname.lastname@example.org or attend a 350.org meeting on the first Wednesday of each month from 5:30pm-7pm at the Conservation Council ACT Region office – Barry Drive. All welcome!